December Holiday Scavenger Hunt
Visit the following holiday websites and answer the questions or follow the instructions that follow. Good luck!
Read Bobby's Christmas Story and answer the following questions:
- What did Santa dress up as to test Bobby?
(a poor man)
- What did the children at the orphanage want more than anything? (a home)
Visit the holiday crafts page and look at the snowman project. What are the snowballs made of? (styrofoam)
- During Hanukkah, candles are lit for how many days? (8)
- Hanukkah is the Hebrew term for what? (dedication)
- What does Hanukkah commemorate? (the victory of the Jews over the Hellenist Syrians in 165 BCE)
- When is Kwanzaa celebrated? (December 26th through January 1st)
- What does the word "Kwanzaa" mean? (the first fruits)
- What does green stand for? (the hope and the color of the motherland)
- Visit the Elf School and play a game to earn your Elf School Diploma. Print out for credit.
- What is the secret elf greeting? (the big guy flies at midnight)
- What is Santa Claus called in Holland? (Sintirklass)
- Does the Holland Santa Claus use a sleigh? (no, a ship)
- In Scandinavia, who brings the Christmas gifts to children? (an elf, called the julenisse or the juletomte)
- Who is La Befana? (good witch who dresses all in black and brings gifts to children on the Epiphany; Italian Christmas figure)
- At what temperature are poinsettias put in danger of dying? (below 50 degrees)
- Where are poinsettias originally from? (Mexico)
- Answer the following christmas jokes/riddles:
- Who sings "Love Me Tender" and makes Christmas toys? (Santa's Little Elvis)
- How does Santa take pictures? (with his North Pole-aroid)
- What is the difference between the Christmas alphabet and the normal alphabet? (the Christmas alphabet has No-El)
- Under the games section, take the elf test. If you pass, print the certificate at the end. Good luck!
- What is Christmas called in France? (Noel)
- What is a German Adventskranz? (a wreath of leaves with four candles)
- In Portugal, people pretend that Father Christmas brings gifts and leaves them either under the tree or where? (in shoes beside the fireplace)
- What does a candy cane represent? (the shepherd's crook)
- What do the lights on a Christmas tree represent? (Jesus as the light of the world)
- What do the berries on a holly leaf represent? (the blood Jesus shed)
- Print a Christmas color sheet of your choice!
For more fun, try your knowledge at the Christmas Trivia Quiz--http://www.familygames.com/features/quizzes/xmasquiz.html
Have a very Merry Christmas!